Sunday 13 August 2017

MFH ninteen: Orktillery part wun - Lobba.

Well, the banner's a total lie now, what with it being the middle of August, but I'm still scratch building 40K orky stuff, so it's sticking around a bit longer anyway. I got thinking about orktilery last week - big gunz and mek gunz. Big gunz are another of those odd areas of the Ork range where the minis are still old hang-overs from 3rd edition, and metal to boot. Not as old as buggies, but pretty old. And only the kannon is still available anyway. So I decided to rectify the situation by building a lobba or three. Because that's just how I roll.
Here's Grot to explain things...
















Forgot to get a shot here - I've started to use a pair of dividers from a mathematical drawing set to scribe small circles - you know the ones, basically like a pair of compasses but with two points instead of one point and a pencil. If you dig one point in at the center and spin them around several times you can scribe a line into the plastic deep enough to snap the circle out or finish the cut with a knife. These were done with a cheaper somewhat shaky example as I left my good one at home and bought a cheap replacement from a newsagents to go in my travelling tool kit. Which is a thing I have. What do you mean you don't have one?





And there you have it, Hippo Fans! It took me about a week to build all three of these, and that's working around social commitments, work and so forth. I've also started work on the other flavours of Big Gun, so keep an eye out for those. 
You'll notice that the work bench changes a few times - this is the natural upshot of my working on them at home and at The Hoodling's Hole amidst the players of Battletech and those who say 'I really should do some modelling,' glue two plastic pieces together and then go to sleep. Light weights.

4 comments :

  1. Those are great! However, I thought there was an expensive grot gun kit now? Or does it only build the Mek guns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are four kits. Each of which costs nearly $70AUD, and only builds one of the four Mek Gun variants. The only Big Gun on sale is the metal kannon which has not been updated since 3rd edition (because in 3rd Orks got sensible and ditched the weird artillery they were known for... and then got Mek Guns in more recent years returning them to their roots)

      Delete
  2. I love this series. Also, an Ork would have no real concept of months anyway so you take as long as you like. Even if they did Da Boss would give em a right 'fumpin' fer disagreein' anyway.

    ReplyDelete