Saturday 26 August 2017

In which we mourn the loss of a landmark

Metro Hobbies on Swanston Street, Melbourne has been my favourite hobby shop since they renovated a few years back. Before then, I didn't have a favourite hobby shop, they were all equal in my eyes. Now Metro Hobbies (formerly Victorian Hobby Centre) is closing down, having been compulsorily acquired as part of the cross-city railway tunnel project. This sucks for a number of reasons.
1: As I said - favourite hobby shop.
2: There are only two hobby shops in the CBD anyway, so now there will be only one. Like the Highlander. Only a hobby shop under Flinder's Street Station called Hearn's.
3: Going to Victorian Hobby Centre was a massive part of my childhood - even before I was a hobbyist I used to get dragged there by my brother, and I bought some of my first models there. (I think I bought my very first at Hobby Place, which closed years ago).
Alas, alack, oh fie, oh misery and oh bugger. We shall miss Metro hobbies.

On the plus side - Stock liquidation sale!
On the minus side, this was the first chance I had to get there, so almost everything is gone since the sale's been on for a few weeks now.
On the plus side - Tamiya Toyota model AB Phaeton - or as I like to call it - WARBOSS SNAGGATOOF'S PIMP MOBILE! Watch out for updates on this project in the days to come.

2 comments :

  1. How come they need to acquire that building for an underground project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen the details, so I'm not sure. I think they're expanding Flinders Street Station sideways, or possibly they need that block to build access to the underground station.

      Delete