Tuesday 1 October 2019

Ishoo Wun-Firteen: Planter boxes

Wow! Two ishoos in a day? That hasn't happened in... I think it happened once before...
While I was working on Orkness Station, I had a bit of spare time waiting for PVA to dry just after I carved the chimney. I was looking at the chimney and thinking that it was a good technique I'd like to showcase in a piece somehow - possibly an ancient dome granary, when I realised there was an easier option - plater boxes. Town councils are always trying to pretty up their public spaces, and no matter what time period, planter boxes seem to fit in. So here's a quick and timeless project. Unleash the eco-freindly Grot!



At this point it's also worth denting in some of the bricks with the blunt end of a paint brush - I forgot to get a photo of that stage... You might also want to roll a ball of crumpled tin foil across the surface to roughen it up too.







And there you go! This is a quick, easy and very effective technique. The brick/stone work really stand out at a distance too - I'm sitting across the room from one of these planter boxes (about four meters away) and I can clearly see the individual blocks. This would make a great effect for some sort of ancient and weather beaten building like a witches tower... hmmm... that's got me thinking...

1 comment :