Wednesday 30 April 2014

A Tale of Duelling Gamers: April Retrospective.



Gadzooks and other foul oaths guaranteed to offend a 16th century audience. Here we are at the end of April, and what the heck happened to my month? I'm not doing the usual thing of going "OMG! I worked SOOOOOO hard and I painted all the time and I only just got things done!" Oh no. Readers with long memories and facial hair to match will recall my almost super human painting speed. I'm more annoyed that it took me THE WHOLE MONTH. Seriously, what's with that?
Well, time to make excusses...
er...
Well, I was actually pretty busy over the school holidays with the holiday program and a few other things. Also the bases I ordered (plain ones mark you!) only turned up on Thursday. And the shields I ordered STILL have not arrived. So there was a pretty big chunk of holiday time where I was not able to do anything and built terrain instead. I guess that's something. Also,it explains why the promised freehanded shields have not materialised.
Anyway, here's the fun part:

The Slaaneshi Hordes! I'm trying to come up with a name for the lord (besides Lord Emo Fringe). I kinda like Gavrillo, but he needs a title. Something like 'Lord of the Enticing Promise'

Here are all twenty of his chums. Dark Eldar models are stupidly fragile. The champion's back banner came off before I even painted, and one of the razor flail things is now two segments long.

Chaos Warriors! I Choose YOU!!! (because that old Slaanesh=Pokemaster joke never gets old...)

Another angle, not sure why I took this actually...

An attempt to show the lightningy blade on Lord Emo Fringe... er... I mean Lord Gavrillo Of the Whispered Endearment.

The champion is understandably annoyed at my slow progress.
And now for the REALLY fun part!
ACCOUNTING!
Er.. yes. Seriously, I think this is really cool. This is a screen-shot of my spreadsheet showing things.


See, this is part of the reason I wanted to start this whole shebang. To show that you can get things done cheaply. Anyway, this is my month's budget. As you can see, I blew it on 26 figures. A lord on deamonic snake thing, twenty of the finest warriors, and five chosen who also look like Incubi. So, at GW prices, I blew $189. Except I got them from eBay and CanCon, so I actuall spent... $81.70.
And what does this tell us?
Well, that you CAN get an army cheaply if you know where to look and what to look for. Stand by for future months when I economise even further by using ONE GW model to make TWO chaos things at once!

Also, this is my first experience of Fine Cast, and I'm not impressed. Seriously, the blades on those incubchosen snap if you sneeze near them.

Er... anyway, that's probably it.
Watch out for further updates, slow painting progress, and also go to The Dweller's Bellow's Tournamnet Called Face/Off because I'll be there showing terrain and building Table 1 which they might be raffling off or something. I dunno. The Ginger Thunder only emailed me last night.

2 comments :

  1. I really like the overall look and am impressed at 1. How cheap you picked up the minis and 2. The number of points these equate to. The drybrush? Highlighting looks really good to. Conrats on the first months accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pastel colors really work well for the Slannesh forces, I like Lord Gavrillo of the pleasurable death. I am really liking the incubi as chosen. My hat is off to you sir.

    ReplyDelete