Tuesday 5 November 2019

The race that once more fails to stop Pudding Wrestler's Perfidious Projects.

It's just after noon on Cup Day here in Victoria, and while the various glittering socialites are parading around Flemington race course in tiny hats, here in the mekboy workshops of Grot, we're doing what we always do with cup day long weekend - building stuff. I like to try to get a huge amount of hobby in over the long weekend - in the past I have actually run a challenge to build, paint and complete a whole model over the course of just this one day. This year, I am scratchbuilding a Shokkjump Dragsta.
Once again, I am not that mad about GW's model. It doesn't really scream 'dragster' - it looks about as  heavy as all the other new vehicles, and apart from being on drag slick tyres, it's not really very dragster shaped either. So obviously I have to build one and make it very clearly dragsterish. Also, I get the fun of building a Shokk Reactor. Which I am certainly excited about.

The chassis is now basically complete. The wheels are not glued to anything yet, but the axels are all mounted and it rolls nicely. Wheels are from a 1:32 scale toy car (front) and a 1:25 scale model Pro Street car (rear)

The engine is almost done - I still need to add some belts to drive the twin super chargers. The area between is being left clear to allow the Shokk Rifle to fire through the engine.

I still need to fine tune the engine's position and add some mounts. At the moment the exhausts get a bit mixed up witht he wheels.

The rear diff and suspension has just been mounted. The yellow bit in the middle is a bead I found at a $2 shop - more of them will be used in the reactor.
Stand by for further updates, including what I'm using for the body of this thing later this afternoon or evening!
And if I win anything on the cup, who knows, I might spend it on actual GW vehicles models - but mostly so I can point out all their many failings and sneer at them while scrath building things I like.

1 comment :