Tuesday 7 January 2020

Ishoo wun-fifteen: Rock Spires.

In the old days when I first got into this hobby, rock spires were a big thing. They were always turning up in White Dwarf pictures, and they were one of the first terrain projects I undertook - almost certainly the very first time I used polystyrene. Which makes it a bit odd that I have never actually posted any to the blog. Of course, terrain technology has marched on. Those first rock spires I made used 10mm thick sheets of low density foam cut to shape and slathered in plaster. These days it's easy to get high density styrofoam insulation sheet and I've learned much more effective texturing techniques. So with the increasing interest in Gaslands at my club, it seemed like a good time to build some 'scale agnostic' terrain like rock spires which could be used in Gaslands as well as all the 28mm games we play. So here's Grot to show you the way!


Note: He toothpicks will add some strength and stop the pieces slipping around while they dry - they're even more important on thinner spires which are more fragile than this one.

Note: Extend about 5-7cm of blade, dig it into the polystyrene horizontally, and then flick your wrist to twist the blade sideways. It will rip a chunk out and give a nice stratified effect.


Note: My jigsaw is mounted upside-down to this jigsaw table - that's the blade coming up through the whole.








And there you have it hippo fans! It's quick and easy to make a whole table worth of these (which is exactly what I did - I ended up with nine seperate pieces ranging from about 5cm across all the way up to about 20cm across. So long as you don't over do the grass they will look perfectly at home in anything from 15mm-28mm scale, and if you just swap static grass out for flock they'll work at smaller scales too. You could leave the grass out, but it helps to seperate the spire from the base visually. Come back soon for the next ishoo which will also tackle one of the classics of my youth in. a scale agnostic way. Or attempt to anyway.

No comments :

Post a Comment